Saturday 21 December 2013

The Holly and The Ivy....

  • Christmas stockings made (tick)
  • Christmas tree up (tick)
  • Cards sent (tick)
  • Door decorations ...(to do)

Being broke but still wanting to make the effort to make the house look festive and inviting, I had a rummage to see what I had in the way of decorations, foraged for greenery, checked out what bits and pieces I had in the garage, and this is what I found...
By the way, I have never made these things before, so I made it up as I went along. I guessed that the coat hangers could do with loosing their hooks, so off they came.

Then a sort of frame work would be needed to support the holly and ivy.
A few twists of garden wire did the trick.
What do I do next? Weave the ivy in and out of the wire frame like so,
Build it up and tie it in with more garden wire,

Add some pretty decorations,

Thread some more garden wire across the back for hanging on a screw or something similar, take it out side, hang it up and admire.

Not bad!
That's the back of the house done, now for the front.
Only having an old wooden coat hanger to work with, I started in much the same way as for the wire coat hanger. 
Loosely twist garden wire around the hanger.
Start weaving and tying in what bits of foliage you have,
Build it up.
Add the pretty stuff. Just stick it in, weave it in between the wire and stalks of the foliage, or tie in with garden wire.
Tie in a hanging wire across the back.
Hang on the door, stand back and admire.
I actually tied mine to the door knocker in an attempt to make it theft proof.
As always, have a go, have fun, and Merry Christmas everyone xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment